1985.09 - 1988.12, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Doctor
1982.09 - 1995.08, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Master
1978.09 - 1982.07, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Bachelor
1988.12-1993.11 Lecturer, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China
1993.12-1994.11 Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering,Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China
1994.12-present Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering,Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China
2000.01-present Cheung Kong Chair Professor,Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China
2009 -present Vice President, Shanghai Jiao Tong University
Alternative fuels for transportation
Energy policy and stratagem.
1. 2015-2019: ‘Fundamental Research on Surrogate Fuels of Biodiesel in Automotive Transportation and Their Combustion’, National Natural Science Foundation Key Project, PI.
2. 2012-2017: ‘Diesel engine particle formation and evolution mechanism’ The National Natural Science Foundation of key international cooperation project, PI.
3. 2012-2015: ‘Research on National VI DME Engine’, National “863” Project, PI.
4. 2012-2015: ‘Research and demonstration on clean and efficient utilization of bio-gas from farm diversified research and demonstration of integrated technology’, National Key Technology Support, PI.
5. 2010-2013: ‘Fundamental Research of High-Efficiency Low-Temperature Combustion in Compression Ignition Engine’, National Natural Science Foundation Key Project, PI.
6. 2009 -2012: ‘Fundamental Research of High-efficiency Low-temperature Combustion in Vehicle Gasoline Engines’, Key Program of Shanghai Science and Technology Committee, PI.
7. 2007-2011: ‘Fundamental Research of In-cylinder Fuel Composition, Concentration and Temperature Control in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Combustion’, The State Key Fundamental Research Programs (973) , PI.
8. 2007 – 2009: ‘Research of Compression Ignition Diesel Engine Fueled by Biodiesel’. Key Program of Ministry of Education, PI.
9. 2006 – 2008: ‘Development of DME Engines Satisfying National VI Emissions Standards’, Delphi Diesel Systems, PI.
10. 2002-2007: ‘Fundamental Research of Alternative Fuel Design Theory and Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Combustion’, The State Key Fundamental Research Programs (973) , PI.
11. 2002-2005: ‘The Combustion Characteristics and Control of Alternative Clean Fuels in Internal Combustion Engine’. National Natural Science Foundation Key Project, PI.
12. 2001-2004: ‘Combustion and exhaust emission control’, National Outstanding Youth Science Foundation, PI.
1. Zhen Huang, Libin Ji, Dong Han, Zheng Yang, Xingcai Lu. Experimental study on dual-fuel compound homogeneous charge compression ignition combustion. International Journal of Engine Research 2013; 14 (1): 23-33.
2. Lei Zhu, Chunshun Cheung, Wugao Zhang, Junhua Fang, Zhen Huang. Effects of ethanol-biodiesel blends and diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC) on particulate and unregulated emissions. Fuel 2013; 113:690-696.
3. Haoyue Zhu, Stanislav Bohac, Kohei Nakashima, Luke Hagen, Zhen Huang, Dennis Assanis. Effect of fuel oxygen on the trade-offs between soot, NOx and combustion efficiency in premixed low-temperature diesel engine combustion. Fuel 2013; 112: 459-465.
4. Haoyue Zhu, Stanislav Bohac, Zhen Huang, Dennis Assanis. Defeat of the soot/NOx trade-off using biodiesel-ethanol in a moderate exhaust gas recirculation premixed low-temperature combustion mode. Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power- Transactions of the ASME 2013; 135(9): 091502.
5. Zhenhua Li, Weijing Wang, Zhen Huang, Matthew Oehlschlaeger. Dimethyl ether autoignition at engine-relevant conditions. Energy and Fuels 2013; 27(5): 2811-2817.
6. Haoyue Zhu, Stanislav Bohac, Kohei Nakashima, Luke Hagen, Zhen Huang, Dennis Assanis. Effect of biodiesel and ethanol on load limits of high-efficiency premixed low-temperature combustion in a diesel engine. Fuel 2013; 106:773-778.
7. Tian Lu, Chunshun Cheung, Zhen Huang. Influence of waste cooking oil biodiesel on the particulate emissions and particle volatility of a DI diesel engine. Aerosol and Air Quality Research 2013; 13(1): 243-254.
8. Zhen Huang, Jin Xiao, Xinqi Qiao, Gaozhi Jiang, Yiming Shao, Seiichi Shiga, Yasuhiro Daisho. Spray characteristics and controlling mechanism of fuel containing CO2. Frontiers in Energy 2012; 6 (1): 80-88.
9. Tian Lu, Chunshun Cheung, Zhen Huang. Investigation on particulate oxidation from a DI diesel engine fueled with three fuels. Aerosol Science and Technology 2012; 46, 1349–1358
10. Xingcai Lu, Dong Han, Zhen Huang. Fuel design and management for the control of advanced compression-ignition combustion modes, Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 2011; 37(6): 741-783.
11. Xingcai Lu, LibinJi, Junjun Ma, Xiaoxin Zhou, Zhen Huang. Combustion characteristics and influential factors of isooctane active-thermal atmosphere combustion assisted by two-stage reaction of n-heptane. Combustion and Flame 2011; 158: 203-216
12. Xingcai Lu, Yitao Shen, Yinbao Zhang, Xiaoxin Zhou, Libin Ji, Zheng Yang, Zhen Huang. Controlled three-stage heat release of stratified charge compression ignition (SCCI) combustion with a two-stage primary reference fuel supply. Fuel 2011; 90: 2026-2038
13. Lei Zhu, C. S. Cheung, Wugao Zhang, Zhen Huang. Combustion, performance and emission characteristics of a DI diesel engine fueled with ethanol-biodiesel blends. Fuel 2011; 90(5): 1743-1750.
14. Lei Zhu, Wugao Zhang, Wei Liu, Zhen Huang. Experimental study on particulate and NOx emissions of a diesel engine fueled with ultralow sulfur diesel, RME-diesel blends and PME-diesel blends. Science of the Total Environment 2010; 408: 1050-1058.
15. Zhen Huang, Xinqi Qiao, Wugao Zhang, Junhua Wu, Junjun Zhang. Dimethyl ether as alternative fuel for CI engine and vehicle, Frontiers of Energy and Power Engineering in China 2009; 3 (1): 99-108.
16. Xinling Li and Zhen Huang. Emission reduction potential of using gas-to-liquid and dimethyl ether fuels on a turbocharged diesel engine. Science of the Total Environment 2009; 407(7): 2234-2244.
17. Junjun Zhang, Xinqi Qiao, Zhen Wang, Zhen Huang. Experimental investigation of low-temperature combustion (LTC) in an engine fueled with dimethyl ether (DME). Energy and Fuels 2009; 23(1):170-174.
18. Junjun Zhang, Xinqi Qiao, Bin Guan, Zhen Wang, Guangfei Xiao, Zhen Huang. Search for the optimizing control method of compound charge compression ignition (CCCI) combustion in an engine fueled with dimethyl ether. Energy and Fuels 2008; 22: 1581-1588.
19. Junjun Zhang, Zhen Huang, Junhua Wu, Guangfei Xiao, Junhua Fang. Combustion and performance of heavy-duty diesel engines fueled with dimethyl ether. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers: Part D, Journal of Automobile Engineering 2008; 222(9): 1691-1703.
20. Xingcai Lu, LibinJi, Junjun Ma, Chen Huang, Zhen Huang. Effects of an in-cylinder active thermo-atmosphere environment on diesel engine combustion characteristics and emissions. Energy and Fuels 2008; 22: 2991-2996.
21. Xinling Li, Zhen Huang, Jiasong Wang, Wugao Zhang. Particle size distribution from a GTL engine. Science of the Total Environment 2007; 382(2-3):295-303.
22. Liang Zhang, Zhen Huang. Life cycle study of coal-based dimethyl ether as vehicle fuel for urban bus in China. Energy 2007; 32 (10): 1896 -1904.
23. Xingcai Lu, Junjun Ma, Libin Ji, Zhen Huang. An experimental study on the combustion characteristics and emissions of bio-diesel fueled compression ignition engines with premixed dimethoxymethane. Energy and Fuels 2007; 21 (6): 3144-3150.
24. Tao Wu, Zhen Huang, Wugao Zhang, Junhua Fang. A comparative study of gas-to-liquid (GTL) as an alternative fuel used in a direct injection compression ignition engine. International Journal of Automotive Technology 2007; 8 (4): 421-428.
25. Tao Wu, Zhen Huang, Wugao Zhang, Junhua Fang, Qi Yin. Physical and chemical properties of GTL–diesel fuel blends and their effects on performance and emissions of a multi-cylinder DI compression ignition engine. Energy and Fuels 2007; 21 (4): 1908-1914.
26. Xingcai Lu, Libin Ji, Linlin Zu, Yuchun Hou, Cheng Huang, Zhen Huang. Experimental study and chemical analysis of n-heptane homogeneous charge compression ignition combustion with port injection of reaction inhibitors. Combustion and Flame 2007; 149 (3):261-270.
27. Liang Zhang, Zhen Huang. Life cycle study of coal-based dimethyl ether as vehicle fuel for urban bus in China. Energy 2007; 32 (10): 1896 -1904.
Teaching Target: Undergraduate students
Course Name：Low Carbon Energy
Teaching Target: Undergraduate students
Course Name：Combustion and Emission Control of IC Engines
Teaching Target: Postgraduate students
Course Name：Frontier in IC Engine Research
Teaching Target: Postgraduate students
Patents and Applications
1. Sealing device for common rail Injector of diesel engine, ZL200310109354.1.
2. Non-continuous bamboo hat shaped spray burning system, ZL200410017362.8.
3. Injection system for two kinds of fuel of double fuel pump of diesel engine, ZL200410016233.7.
4. Diesel, dimethylether mixed injection system, ZL200310121608.1.
5. Low emission combustion system of flexible fuel engine, ZL200410016232.2
6. Discontinuous bamboo hat shape fuel oil spray forming device, ZL200410016558.5.
7. Free-piston type internal combustion engine, ZL2008100409145.
8. Ignition protection module, system and method of free-piston type internal-combustion engine, ZL200810040915.
9. Method of forming controllable premixed dimethyl ether fuel, ZL00119437.
10. Dimethylether controllable premixed gas combustion system, ZL00119436.4
11. Low-pressure electric controlled dimethyl ether fuel injection system, ZL00119435.6
12. Spherical honeycomb board-based automobile tail gas catalyzing unit, ZL02137434.1.
13. Tail gas catalyzing unit based on circular honeycomb board, ZL02137435.X.
14. Purifying catalyst for diesel engine exhaust gas and its preparing method, ZL 02136342.0
15. Controller of gas heat pump hot and cold water supply system, ZL 03129050.7.
16. Dimethyl ether engine efficient, ultra-low emission combustion system, ZL03129550.9.
17. Dimethyl ether fuel hypermulti orifice forced injection system, ZL03129549.
18. Diesel oil pump driven dimethyl ether jet system, ZL200310121609.6.
Other Professional Activities
2006 – present: Vice President, International DME Association
2009-2013: Chairman, ILASS-Asia 2006-2008, Vice Chairman, ILASS-Asia
2007 – present: Vice Chairman, Chinese Society of Engineering Thermophysics
2013 – present: Chairman, Shanghai Society of Energy Research
2008 – present: Chairman, Shanghai Society of Internal Combustion Engine
2011 – present: Executive Editor, International Journal of Frontiers in Energy
2003-2013: Editorial board member, International Journal of Atomization and Sprays
2011 – present: Editorial board member, International Journal of Engine Research
Honors and Awards
2013: National Natural Science Award, State Council of China
2012: Technological Invention Award, Shanghai Municipal Council
2010: Natural Science Award, Shanghai Municipal Council
2007: Distinguished Academic Contribution Award, National Society of Internal Combustion Engine of China
2005: Science and Technology Progress Award, Shanghai Municipal Council
2000: Recipient of the Distinguished Young Scholars, National Natural Science Foundation of China