Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Ohio University, 1999
M.Sc. in Chemical Engineering, Tsinghua University, 1992
B.Sc. in Chemical Engineering, Tsinghua University, 1989
2017 – present, Distinguished Professor, School of Mechanical Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China
2002 – 2017, Principal Engineer, Division of Engine, Emissions and Automotive Research, Southwest Research Institute, San Antonio, Texas, USA
1999 – 2002, Technical Specialist, Program Manager, Ford Motor Company, Dearborn, Michigan, USA
1992 – 1995, Process Engineer, Sinopec
Control of Emissions from Combustion
2018-2019 Consulting project from Dongfeng Automobile Group Co., Ltd. , Study on the performance of core after-treatment components of diesel engines to meet CN VI emissions legislation, Principal Investigator
1. Zhan R, Li M, Shui L. Updating China Heavy-Duty On-Road Diesel Emission Regulations. SAE Technical Papers. 2012-01-0367.
2. Zhan R, Li W, Eakle ST, Weber P. Development of a Novel Device to Improve Urea Evaporation, Mixing and Distribution to Enhance SCR Performance. SAE Technical Papers. 2010-01-1185.
3. Zhan R, Eakle ST, Weber P. Simultaneous Reduction of PM, HC, CO and NOx Emissions from a GDI Engine. SAE Technical Papers. 2010-01-0365.
4. Zhan R, Eakle S, Spreen K, Li CG, Mao FF. Validation Method for Diesel Particulate Filter Durability. SAE Technical Papers. 2007-01-4086.
5. Guan B, Zhan R*, Lin H, Huang Z. Review of the state-of-the-art of exhaust particulate filter technology in internal combustion engines. Journal of Environmental Management. 2015, 154:225-58.
6. Guan B, Zhan R*, Lin H, Huang Z. Review of state of the art technologies of selective catalytic reduction of NO x from diesel engine exhaust. Applied Thermal Engineering. 2014, 66:395-414.
Course Name：Advanced Emission Control Technology
Teaching Target: Undergraduate students/Master students/Ph.D candidate
Patents and Applications
1. Particulate Oxidation Catalyst with Dual Pressure-Drop Sensors, US, 9046026, 2015.06.02.
2. Apparatus and Method for Assisting Selective Catalytic Reduction, US, 8899020, 2014.12.02.
3. Exhaust Aftertreatment Systems for Gasoline and Alternative-Fueled Engines with Reduction of HC, CO, NOx and PM, US, 8522536, 2013.09.03.
4. Packed-Bed Radial-Flow Non-Thermal Plasma Reactor, US, 7767166, 2010.08.03.
5. Regeneration Control for Diesel Pariculate Filter for Treating Diesel Engine E, US, 7412822, 2008.08.12.
6. Method for Controlling Temperature in a Diesel Particulate Filter During Regeneration, US, 7275365, 2007.10.02.
7. Synthetic Gas Reactor System with Gas or Liquid Injection, US, 6907354, 2005. 06.14.