2004-2009, Columbia University Mechanical Engineering, Doctor
2001-2004, Tsinghua University， Precision Instruments and Mechanology, Master
1997-2001, Tsinghua University， Precision Instruments and Mechanology, Bachelor
2016 - present, Associate Professor, School of Mechanical Engineering
2015 - 2016, Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering, UM-SJTU Joint Institute
2010 - 2015, Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering, UM-SJTU Joint Institute
1. Medical Robots
（1）Surgical assistants for laparoscopic procedures
（2）Robots for N.O.T.E.S (Natural Orifice Translumenal Endoscopic Surgery)
（3）Wearable exoskeleton for rehabilitation
（4）Micro robots for vascular and intracranial procedures
2. Non-traditional Industrial Robots
Hyper-redundant continuum manipulator for intracavity inspections
3. Service Robots
（3）Wheeled mobile platform
4. Robotics Fundamentals
（2）Force control and haptics
（3）Synthesis of continuum mechanisms and robots
1. National Science Foundation China, January 2017 ~ December 2020, PI, Key Instrumentation and System Integration of a Single-Port Surgical Robot
2. National Science Foundation China, January 2018 ~ December 2020, PI, Investigations on Multi-backbone Continuum Mechanisms
3. National Science Foundation China, January 2017 ~ December 2019, PI, Topology Synthesis, Dynamics Analysis and Motion Control of Continuum Robots for Pick-and-Place Tasks
4. National Science Foundation China (Major Prpject), January 2015 ~ December 2019, Co-PI, (Xiangyang Zhu, PI), Kinematics and Manipulability Synthesis of Continuum Robots for Intra-Cavity Tasks
5. National Science Foundation China, January 2014 ~ December 2017, PI, Mechanism Design and System Integration of an Endoscopic Robot for Scarless Surgery
6. National Program on Key Basic Research Projects (the 973 Program), Nov 2011 – Aug 2016. PI: Xiangyan Zhu of ME@SJTU. Co-PI: Xu, Bio-Mechatronic Fundamentals for Human Motor Function Reconstruction
7. Samsung SAIT Global Research Outreach program (GRO program), Oct 2011 – Sept 2014. PI: Xu, Design and Implementation of a Robotic Slave for Single Port Access (SPA) Surgeries
8. Shanghai Pujiang Scholar Program, Shanghai Metropolitan Government, Oct 2011 – Sept 2013. PI: Xu, Design, Fabrication and Clinic Study of Manual and Mechatronic Tools for Single Port Access Surgeries
9. National Science Foundation China, January 2011 ~ December 2013, PI, Design and Synthesis of a Flexible Multifunctional Active Cannula for Natural Orifice Translumenal Endoscopic Surgery
10. National Science Foundation China, January 2011 ~ December 2013, Co-PI, (Yun Luo, PI), Research on the Safety of MIS Tools Based on the Biomechanics and the Design of a Passive Protection Module using Shape Memory Alloy
11. Program for New Century Excellent Talents in University, Ministry of Education, July 2010 ~ June 2013, PI, Design and Synthesis of Advanced Surgical Continuum Robots towards Clinical Applications
12. The University of Michigan – Shanghai Jiao Tong University Collaborative Research Foundation, September 2010 ~ August 2012, Leading Co-PI together with Albert Shih, (Co-PI: Minhua Zheng, Lixu Gu, James Geiger, Joseph Bull and Thomas Wang), Novel Multifunctional Endoscope-based Medical Devices for Advanced Diagnosis and Treatments
1. K. Xu, Z. Liu, B. Zhao, H. Liu, and X. Zhu, "Composed Continuum Mechanism for Compliant Mechanical Postural Synergy: An Anthropomorphic Hand Design Example," Mechanism and Machine Theory, vol. 132, pp. 108-122, Feb 2019.
2. K. Xu, H. Liu, Z. Zhang, and X. Zhu, "Wrist-Powered Partial Hand Prosthesis Using a Continuum Whiffle Tree Mechanism: A Case Study," IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, Vol. 26, No.3, pp. 609-618, March 2018.
3. K. Xu and H. Liu, "Continuum Differential Mechanisms and Their Applications in Gripper Designs," IEEE Transactions on Robotics, Vol. 32, No.3, pp. 754-762, June 2016.
4. K. Xu, H. Liu, Y. Du, and X. Zhu, "A Comparative Study for Postural Synergy Synthesis Using Linear and Nonlinear Methods," International Journal of Humanoid Robotics, Vol. 13, No.3, pp. 1650009, 2016.
5. S. Liu, Z. Yang, Z. Zhu, L. Han, X. Zhu, and K. Xu, "Development of a Dexterous Continuum Manipulator for Exploration and Inspection in Confined Spaces," Industrial Robot: An International Journal, Vol. 43, No.3, pp. 284-295, 2016.
6. K. Xu, J. Zhao, and X. Zheng, "Configuration Comparison among Kinematically Optimized Continuum Manipulators for Robotic Surgeries through a Single Access Port," Robotica, Vol. 33, No.10, pp. 2025-2044, Dec 2015.
7. K. Xu, J. Zhao, and M. Fu, "Development of the SJTU Unfoldable Robotic System (SURS) for Single Port Laparoscopy," IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol. 20, No.5, pp. 2133-2145, Oct 2015.
8. J. Zhao, B. Feng, M.-H. Zheng, and K. Xu, "Surgical Robots for SPL and NOTES: a Review," Minimally Invasive Therapy and Allied Technologies, Vol. 24, No.1, pp. 8-17, Jan 2015.
9. K. Xu, H. Liu, Y. Du, and X. Zhu, "Design of an Underactuated Anthropomorphic Hand with Mechanically Implemented Postural Synergies," Advanced Robotics, Vol. 28, No.21, pp. 1459-1474, Nov 2014.
10. K. Xu, J. Zhao, D. Qiu, and Y. Wang, "A Pilot Investigation of a Continuum Shoulder Exoskeleton for Anatomy Adaptive Assistances," ASME Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics, Vol. 6, No.4, pp. 041011, Jun 2014
11. J. Ding, R. E. Goldman, K. Xu, P. K. Allen, D. L. Fowler, and N. Simaan, "Design and Coordination Kinematics of an Insertable Robotic Effectors Platform for Single-Port Access Surgery," IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol. 18, No.5, pp. 1612-1624, Oct 2013
12. K. Xu and N. Simaan, "Intrinsic Wrench Estimation and Its Performance Index of Multi-Segment Continuum Robots," IEEE Transactions on Robotics, Vol.26, pp.555-561, June, 2010
13. K. Xu and N. Simaan, "Analytic Formulation for Kinematics, Statics and Shape Restoration of Multi-Backbone Continuum Robots via Elliptic Integrals," ASME Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics, Vol. 2, DoI.011006-1, Feb, 2010
14. N. Simaan, K. Xu, A. Kapoor, W. Wei, P. Kazanzides, P. Flint, and R. H. Taylor, "Design and Integration of a Telerobotic System for Minimally Invasive Surgery of the Throat," International Journal of Robotics Research, Vol. 28, No. 9, 1134-1153
15. K. Xu and N. Simaan, "An Investigation of the Intrinsic Force Sensing Capabilities of Continuum Robots," IEEE Transactions on Robotics, vol. 24, pp. 576-587, June 2008
1. UM-SJTU JI VM350 Design and Manufacture II
2. UM-SJTU JI VM450 Design and Manufacture III
3. UM-SJTU JI VM551 Mechanisms Design
4. UM-SJTU JI VM567 Introduction to Robotics
Other Professional Activities
a) Associate editor, 2016 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2016).
b) Associate editor, 2015 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2015).
c) Associate editor, 2014 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2014).
a) Reviewer, IEEE Transactions on Robotics (Excellent Reviewer for 2014)
b) Reviewer, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics
c) Reviewer, IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering
d) Reviewer, Bioinspiration & Biomimetics
e) Reviewer, IEEE International Workshop on Robots and Human Interactive Communications (RO-MAN)
f) Reviewer, ASME 2014 Dynamic Systems and Control (DSC) Conference
g) Reviewer, IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS)
h) Reviewer, IEEE International Conference on Information and Automation (ICIA)
i) Reviewer, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics (ROBIO)
a) Program Committee Member, Robotics: Science and Systems (RSS)
b) Organizing Committee Member and Session Chairs, IEEE International Conference on Information and Automation (ICIA)
c) Program Committee Member, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics (ROBIO)
d) Technical Program Committee Member, IEEE International Symposium on Robot and Human Interactive Communication (RO-MAN)
Honors and Awards
2014, Awardee, Shanghai Rising Star Program, Shanghai Metropolitan Government
2011, Awardee, Shanghai Pujiang Scholar Program, Shanghai Metropolitan Government
2010, Marquis Who's Who in America
2009, Awardee, New Century Excellent Talents in University Program (NCET), Ministry of Education, China
2009, Dissertation with Distinction, Columbia University
2008, Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-Financed Students Abroad, Ministry of Education, China
2004, Presidential Distinguished Fellowship, Columbia University
2004, Excellent Master Thesis Award, Tsinghua University
2002, Guanghua Scholarship, Second Prize, Tsinghua University
2001, Leadership Activity Scholarship for Outstanding Student Leaders, Tsinghua University
2000, Guanghua Scholarship, Second Prize, Tsinghua University
1999, IET Scholarship for Excellent Academic and Leadership Performance, IET Foundation
1998, Second Prize for Excellent Academic Performances, Tsinghua University
1997, Second Prize for Outstanding Freshmen, Tsinghua University
1996, National First Prize in the Chinese Mathematical Olympiad, Ministry of Education, China
1996, National First Prize in the Chinese Physics Olympiad, Ministry of Education, China
1996, National Second Prize in the Chinese Chemistry Olympiad, Ministry of Education, China